Monday, June 19, 2006

Poo eene ee banyo?


I have always thought that those travelling to or living in a foreign country ought to at least know a little of the language. This view has changed recently, as I have been trying fruitlessly to learn conversational Greek. The words are insanely long. For example, traveller's cheque is pronounced "takseedhyoteeka tsek". And I thought spanish was rough. But it gets better, the language has an entirely different alphabet that I am trying really hard to learn how to read...it's like being illiterate. At least I can ask, "Where's the bathroom"(poo eene ee banyo) , "How much does it cost"(poso kosteesee) and "Good Morning"(Kalimera) and "Coffee"(kafe!). Hmm, on second thought, maybe that'll do it.

3 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger Chris said...

You know, i'ts funny ... but I tried to learn Australian before I came here. I knew that they spoke a different language, and did my best to be ready. Just because I can read the english language when they switch the "er" to "re" (as in "centre") doesn't mean I can understand them. Add to that the problem that half of our neighborhood doesn't speak english - some speak indian, some greek, some japanese ... it's frustrating, especially when a few of them (especially the greeks) are so darn friendly and say hi to us on our way to the grocery store. Still can't understand half of what they say, nor can they understand us when we say "no, please don't pet the dog."

Have fun in Greece, I hear it's nice.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

thanks! I found myself "translating" for a New Zealander on occasion last summer, I love the way they talk "down under". But it is a totally different language!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger The Borg said...

Chris, we don't use "pet" as verb. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

As Jill, you are confident, respectful, and a little bit bossy! You have an acquired taste for adventure, and love any challenge that you have to face.