Thursday, August 31, 2006

Yeah, here comes Supergirl...

I have been asked by several people, including "my girls" at church, to post about my views on...dating. Alright. Since you asked, I'll attempt to put it into words.
People who do not know me very well...and even some who do...assume at times that I am either a)bitter due to a past relationship or b) uninterested in a relationship. Neither are true, but my actions (not dating and not approving of a lot of relationships I see) and words (encouraging the girls I know in my "ways") certainly voice my disapproval. What exactly do I disapprove of?
Excellent question. I disapprove of the way our culture encourages young people, both male and female, to engage in relationships that are often unhealthy.
I grieve when I see teenagers, especially girls I know, who, are 1) convinced that their worth is connected to having a dating relationship, 2) In an unhealthy relationship because they think "it's just what they should do", and 3) So distracted by their pursuit of a relationship that they cannot focus on more important things...such as their relationship with God or their family.
Instead, they should know that their worth is in their being a beloved, highly treasured, talented child of God, not conforming to the patterns of this world but seeking to follow a wonderful plan for their lives, and forming mutually encouraging relationships with their family and other friends, and finding the true source of love, because "This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His son to be the payment for our sins."
I also disapprove of teenage relationships because I've been through one. I didn't do anything I regret, but due to immaturity and hormones, it would have been very easy to make some. It is also not usually possible for a serious (as in leading to marriage) relationship to develop. It really is a waste of both peoples' time and emotions.
Since in my experience as a teenager and in working with teenagers for the past 3 years, I see that it is virtually impossible (though perhaps not entirely, i personally know one exception), for a teenager to focus on what is important and live a life of maturity and purity while dating and accepting our culture's view of dating, I suggest avoiding dating until a person is fully developed in maturity.
I realize that these are very strong views, and many people do disagree and are often offended. But since our culture is so focused on value in a romantic relationship, and often the physical aspect of that relationship, I truly see waiting as the best solution. I've been waiting for a long time, and I plan to continue to do so. I truly believe that is my calling for now, (and besides, what would "my girls" do without me standing strong?:-) But seriously, I want to be able to have pure, encouraging, and meaningful relationships with men, and if (hopefully!) i do marry one day, I want to be able to give my husband my whole heart, without regrets or unwanted baggage. That's what I want for you, too, both guys and girls: don't waste yours or others emotions or time, seek God above all else, do not be conformed, and live with no regrets.

13 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

I just realized that I said "fully developed in maturity" as the requirement for being ready to have a relationship. If that's true, then I'll sure as heck never date...i'm so immature, and we're all still learning. So, okay, mature in their relationship with Christ and secure in their singleness. That work better? It does for me!

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger ckjolly said...

ah ... here it comes ... are you ready for the Kryptonite?!! Don't worry, pal, I'm right here with my bullet-proof braclets!!!

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger jeltzz said...

To what extent do you consider the impossibility of teenage-relationships of an appropriate kind to be cultural, and to what extent a factor of teenagers' innate maturity as growing human beings? And what are you going to say about the vast swathes of human history when the marriage of teenagers has functioned quite (though by no means overwhelmingly) successfully? Just some questions I'd like to hear your thoughts on.

 
At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmen, I fully agree with and support your stance on dating. I'm actually a big fan of the particular model of courtship that Joshua Harris outlines in his book I Kissed Dating Goodbye because of its mature, Godly approach to dating as a method for seeking a spouse. I'm fully convinced that the only appropriate purpose for model is the pursuit of the lifemate that God has for each one of us. It does seem like an extreme stance in today's culture, but I think it may also be the only healthy one for protecting our hearts, minds, and bodies in the dating context. Glad you're sticking to your guns.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Priscilla said...

I agree also...and really like the model mentioned by Jim. I was one of those teenage girls who dated and ended up deeply hurt emotionally. I do regret that. That left scars on my heart. It would have been much better to wait on the Lord for Him to bring me the person He chose.

His timing is different for everyone. My niece followed a very godly model in courting rather than dating and married at 20. Another friend didn't marry until she was well into her 30's. I married a couple months before I turned 26.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Carmen said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone!
To jeltzz, excellent questions. i think teenage relationships fail easily both because of our culture and the immaturity of teenagers. I also think that if our culture encouraged maturity and meaningful relationships rather than physical, "fun for now" kind of relationships among teenagers, then we would see more of the sucess that you mention. My grandparents were married as teenagers, but they were both raised in Christian homes and the 40's-50's cultures that encouraged them to become mature and enter into a relationship with a real comittment. Successful relationships (such as the one i mentioned in my post) come out of such encouragement of maturity and Christian love.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Jonny said...

I'm 32 and no one has said I'm fully developed in maturity. Maybe that's why I'm single...
But I agree with you, and it's sad that we seam to be the minority with these views.

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger The Librarian said...

I tried 'dating' a few guys without having a terribly strong relationship with them.

I was 22 and not terribly relationship savvy, but I don't think that I made bad choices, just that the people I was with weren;t the right people for me. In the process, I learned alot an refined my sense of the sort of husband I wanted to serve.

By the time I met my (now husband) next boyfriend I was of the mind that I wasn't at all interested in a relationship unless they were prepared to see it as a friendship that prepared us for marriage.

I had just given up and was prepared for a long period of singleness, when my hubby said "my dad gave me this book on families, and I am thinking seriously about things...."

Hello!

We did start 'dating' a little too soon, (i,e straight away!) but thankfully,God brought us to where we are now.

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Carmen, do you think it's possible that perhaps it's possible for teenagers to date responsibly? I mean, with encouraging parents and a helpful church community? I ask because ... well, I suppose that everybody's definitions of "dating" and "courting" differ (and some think both are the same thing), so ... do you think maybe it could be time for us to have that sort of countercultural living? I keep thinking that courting is so ... extreme. Kids, after all, have to learn how to be responsible on their own, and parents supervising everything doesn't really seem to allow for that. I suppose it could depend on the kid though.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

To chris:
Maybe it is possible for teenagers to date responsibly, and you seem to get what I'm saying about a good family and church community keeping them accountable. But it's extremely rare. I still think it's too dangerous...that they should wait until they are more mature. Sure we need to experience in order to grow, but toying with another person's heart is serious business. That's why church and family and maturity are all so important.

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmen, very well said. I agree with you completely...but I think you already knew that! :)

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carry the torch!

 
At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how inspiring! thanks for putting that up there.
-lauren

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

As Jill, you are confident, respectful, and a little bit bossy! You have an acquired taste for adventure, and love any challenge that you have to face.