Thursday, November 17, 2005

Lessons from a Mormon

My English class may prove to be the most annoying, though the most eye-opening class I have ever participated in. I thought I had overcome all the surprises it could throw at me, but I was proved wrong yesterday. During peer review, I was paired with a girl who also identified herself as a Christian. Once we finished reading each other's papers, we struck up a conversation on the topic of faith, which is what my paper was about.
"So, you're a christian, too?" she asked
"Yes, I am. What kind of church do you go to?"
"Actually, I'm mormon."
"Oh, really..."
"Yeah, and you?"
"well, I go to a Baptist church...don't be offended at this, but the first things I think of when I hear the word 'mormon' are Salt Lake City and polygamy, but I know these are stereotypes of something I am unfamiliar with. Would you care to explain what you believe to me?"
"Well, don't be offended, either, but when I hear 'baptist' I think of Benny Hinn and Tammy Faye Baker"
laughter...and she continued our conversation...
"well, i was raised mormon, but i've gone through a bit of a spiritual odyssey" she said.
"I keep the name, but I have discovered that Jesus Christ is God, son of God, and salvation is only found in His work on the cross, not on anything I have done, and my life is now to be lived to glorify Him.
"Wouldn't it be a perfect world if the church would just unite...stop bashing the other denominations...of course, it's important to worship with people that believe the same things as you...but I wish we could all just come together and read the Bible, that will fix our theology, the Bible, and nothing else."
As we continued, I found I agreed with her wholeheartedly. I was also able to share with her exactly what I believed. She had the right idea!
As the conversation ended, I commented,
"You know, you're not really mormon!"
"well, you aren't exactly a baptist!"
"I know...but from what I have heard from you, i know that you share the same basic beliefs as I do, and most mormons don't think the way you do."
"You're right, and you're a bit "liberal" to be a real southern baptist. But we are both Chrisians, despite our denominations."
Indeed. What a glorious day that will be, when the church does indeed come together.

2 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

I am so excited about this! Please continue to encourage her in the faith. is she still attending the church? What do her parents think about this? It is very rare...actually...it never happens that a Mormon professes Jesus Christ as God. This was a huge encouragement to me today! If you have any questions or anything please let me know. I used to be a Mormon as well. So...but it sounds like she would be willing to talk as well. This is a huge breaktrough for her. When and how did she discover this? I would love to hear her story...

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

I know, I know i was totally blown away as well. i hope to get to talk to her about this again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

As Jill, you are confident, respectful, and a little bit bossy! You have an acquired taste for adventure, and love any challenge that you have to face.