Friday, November 03, 2006

A Challenging Song

These are lyrics from "Rich Young Ruler" on Derek Webb's new album. After I heard this song, i started thinking:
(vs. 1)
poverty is so hard to see
when it's only on your tv and twenty miles across town
where we're all living so good
that we moved out of Jesus' neighborhood
where he's hungry and not feeling so good
from going through our trash
he says, more than just your cash and coin
i want your time, i want your voice
i want the things you just can't give me

(vs. 2)
so what must we do
here in the west we want to follow you
we speak the language and we keep all the rules
even a few we made up
come on and follow me
but sell your house, sell your suv
sell your stocks, sell your security
and give it to the poor
what is this, hey what's the deal
i don't sleep around and i don't steal
i want the things you just can't give me

(bridge)
because what you do to the least of these
my brothers, you have done it to me
because i want the things you just can't give me

So, what really made me think was the second verse. We try to be good christians...we don't have these "huge sins" in our lives...but we refuse to give up all our comforts! Yet Jesus told the rich young ruler to sell all he had and give it to the poor. Then he could follow Christ. It made me think...could we really do that? Could I really do that? I do desire to follow God and live the life he has planned for me... but can I really give it all up? My car? My phone? My computer? My savings? My bed? My books? My family? My desires for relationships and love? We so rarely see the kind of faith it takes to simply give everything we have away and step out for the cause of Christ, His gospel, and His glory. What does it even look like when a person does that? Do we even know anymore? Which do we love more? Christ? Or Comfort?

Oh God, give me the strength to surrender to you, to follow you and serve you and seek you over all the worldly things I desire! Give me a passion for you, to set my eyes on things above. Do not let me ignore the suffering, but to do unto the least of these as if it were for You. Give me faith to persevere, to see what is not visible. Give me hope that my life is spent for a purpose, that your word will not return void as you promise. Most of all, give me love, that I may love others and You enough to live as you have called...as your child, your servant, your hands and feet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

As Jill, you are confident, respectful, and a little bit bossy! You have an acquired taste for adventure, and love any challenge that you have to face.